Are you looking for the best places to take you houseboat this summer. While not designed for the rough ocean waters, a houseboat can be a delightful opportunity to get away from it all. These lakes on the list tend to be large enough for you to find a private cove, but large enough that you are close to any amenity that you would need while houseboating.
- Lake Ouachita. near Hot Springs, Ark. arkansasstateparks.com/lakeouachita
- Don Pedro Lake,near Modesto, Calif.209-852-2396; donpedrolake.com
- Smith Mountain Lake, southwestern Virginia 800-676-8203; Smith-mountain-lake.com
- Dale Hollow Lake, on Kentucky/Tennessee border 888-406-4704; dalehollow.com
- Lake Lanier, near Atlanta 800-847-4842; lanier.sam.usace.army.mil
- Lake Mead, near Las Vegas riverlakes.com
- Table Rock Lake, near Branson, Mo. tablerocklake.us
- Shuswap Lake, British Columbia shuswap.bc.ca
- Green River, southeastern Utah go-utah.com/Green-River
- Center Hill Lake, near Nashville 931-858-3125; smithvilletn.com/lake via USATODAY.com
If you are looking to rent a houseboat, Go Play Outdoors has a good list of companies.
Looking to buy a houseboat, the National Houseboat Expo has a ton of information.